ANNOUNCING A WINNER
On behalf of the Imperium Ambassadorial Delegation, Madame Hypatia is delighted to announce that the winner of our draw for a Steampunk Tarot: Gods of the Machine app has been won by Constable Brass. Many congratulations, Constable! Please contact me so that we can arrange to have your app sent to you by Teslerian transfer. The Imperium salutes you!
|6 Engines (Wands)|
Those not so fortunate as Constable Brass can obtain their copy by applying to http://www.oceanhousemedia.com/products/steampunktarot/
The wonderful virtue of the app is that the cards can be viewed at a higher magnification and so the many details can be appreciated. It is also, of course, entirely portable and so very suitable for expeditions, dirigible journeys or for enlightening your leisure hours during long periods aboard your submersible. Whether at play or at work, the Imperium’s tarot can guide your way.
|Captain Engines (King Wands)|
|10 Engines (Wands)|
THE LADDER SPREAD
Try pairing cards for yourself now by using the Ladder Spread: this is a descent to the truth by means of three rungs or pairs of cards. You read each pair and then consider the two sets of three cards that make either side of the ladder, so you can extend your pairs into triplets.
1. Shuffle your cards while considering the question or issue that concerns you now and cut the deck into two equal piles. In both piles, you draw a card for each rung of the ladder until you arrive at 3 pairs of cards:
2. What is your birth day? – count down through the cards that number of days and select a card from each pile. Cards 1 + 2
3. What is your birth month? – count down that month number in the remaining cards and select a card from each pile. Cards 3 + 4
4. What is your birth year? – add up the last two digits of the year (e.g. 1969 is 6 +9=15) and select a card from each pile. Cards 5 + 6.
If at any point you run out of cards in either pile, then treat each pile as circular and, as with a discard pile in gaming, turn the pile upright and start again.
5. Read the pairs as below and then read cards 1 + 3 + 5 and cards 2 + 4 + 6
6. Add the numbers of the cards 1, 3 and 5, and add the card numbers of 2,4 and 6 to create a number under 22 which accords with one of the Major Arcana. If your total on either side goes over 22, add the resultant numbers together e.g. 59 = 5 + 9 = XIV Spirit Gauge (Temperance).
Cards 1 + 2 = Surface Appearances
Cards 3 + 4 = What lies beneath
Cards 5 + 6 = The real state of things
Cards 1 + 3 + 5 = What has happened
Cards 2 + 4 + 6 = What action can be taken about it
Here is an example for Marjorie Macclesfield-Sterne, wife of Captain James of the Imperium dirigible, Argonautica: her issue concerns the safety of her husband while he is on a long tour of duty in the
. Her birthdate is 4th November 2176: which is 4 days, 11 months and 7 +6 = 13 years down the piles. These are the cards that she draws: Mystarian Ocean
Birth Day cards: 1. Ace of Submersibles (Cups) + 2. XX Regeneration Machine (Judgement)
Birth Month cards: 3. Five Submersibles (Cups) + 4. Messenger Leviathans (Coins)
Birth Year cards: 5. Messenger of Airships (Page Swords + 6. VI Explorers reversed. (Lovers)
|Ace Submersibles (Cups)|
|XX Regeneration Machine (Judgement)|
1. Ace of Submersibles (Cups) + 2. XX Regeneration Machine (Judgement)
On the surface of things, Marjorie keeps firmly in her mind the safe operation of her husband’s submersible and the day when it resurfaces so that they can be happily reunited.
|5 Submersibles (Cups)|
|Messenger of Leviathans (Coins)|
3. Five Submersibles (Cups) + 4. Messenger Leviathans (Coins)
Beneath the surface it looks as if Captain James is worrying about the survival of his crew in dangerous circumstances, but that he has not shared his worries in any despatches he sends home.
|Messenger Airships (Page Swords)|
|VI Explorers (Lovers)|
5. Messenger of Airships (Page Swords) + 6. VI Explorers reversed. (Lovers)
The real state of things shows that Captain James is slving difficulties by using radical means, even to the extent of ’going out on a limb,’ but that he never forgets his wife with whom he is deeply in love.
Cards 1, 3 & 5: Ace of Submersibles + 5 Submersibles + Messenger of Airships.
What has happened to Captain James is that during the Argonautica’s tour of duty, there have been losses among his crew; he keenly feels their loss and may be dwelling upon this. A sense of over-compensation and a conscientious responsibility, may be causing him to cut corners and take more radical decisions than he normally would.
Cards 2, 4 & 6: XX Regeneration Machine + Messenger of Leviathans + VI Explorers
|XVII The Comet (Star)|
|XII The Suspension Tank (Hanged Man)|